Popular Posts

Monday, January 18, 2010

Re-Purpose Me



The web definition of Re-purpose; To reuse for a different purpose, on a long-term basis; To alter to make more suited for a different purpose.


I have embraced this concept:


My Christmas gifts for family this year were hand made buckwheat heating pads. Each unique creation was comprised of fabric re-purposed from used clothing purchased for $5 per garbage bag full at the Once Again Shoppe.  



Due to the fact that my husband has expensive tastes, and we can't afford what he REALLY wants, my home decor is a hodge podge of found items (usually painted white), decorations I've built out of bits and pieces, and stuff I find interesting (like old school desks which seem appropriate in our little yellow school house.) 



I love to make something out of nothing. Somehow, my poor-girl style has become sort of cool, I think they call it "green," or country or shabby Becca. 




Re-purposing, once a thing of the past (think World War and Great Depression flour sack dresses) has come back around in this era of economic shlump.  



In fact, a lot of us are being forced to re-purpose our employed lives and re-investigate what we're trained in, what we're good at, and what we're capable of.  Perhaps even cobbling together part time jobs that add up to full time pay. A lot of us are considering our options along with the economic forecast.

I certainly am.

So, as my mind wanders back and forth, touching on the options available in my small town both educationally and employment wise, I'm going to spin it like this; my cobbled together shelves, well loved re-vamped school desks, crazy Christmas gifts and my own employment capabilities, are re-purposed! And re-purposing is a good thing.  It's even a little cool. 



Hey if anybody knows how to utilize dryer lint, let me know. I've been saving mine.


Best wishes,
RebeccaFlys



If Then

The kinds of decisions which make themselves, begin with problems which cannot solve themselves.  And so, believe in those who tout fate, for they are the luckless few whose problems cannot be solved, and who cede defeat. ~by Rebecca

3 comments:

  1. I love all of your creations and I agree so much...My best quality is my resourcefulness and Im so proud of it...you can use dryer lint for filling in stuffed things..animals or whatever..pillows..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been envious of you creativity and resoursfullness. Keep it up, you enspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... take an egg carton stuff each spot with dryer lint, melt a little wax in each spot and use at fire starter...

    ReplyDelete